Locomotive Check-List

A full list of all our locomotives, Steam & Diesel is published here. Some are currently off site, awaiting arrival or away on loan at other Heritage Railway sites. We will attempt to keep this list as up to date as we can although items might change at very short notice. If you have any enquiries at anytime just mail us  enquiries@ribblesteam.org.uk

STEAM / FIRELESS

Andrew Barclay 1147/1908 ‘John Howe’
Andrew Barclay 1598/1918 ‘Efficient’
Andrew Barclay 1833/1924 ‘Niddrie’
Andrew Barclay 1865/1926 ‘Alexander’
Andrew Barclay 1950/1928 ‘Heysham No.2’ (Fireless)
Andrew Barclay 1969/1929 ‘JN Derbyshire’
Andrew Barclay 2343/1953 ‘British Gypsum No4’
Andrew Barclay 880/1902 0-4-0CT Crane ‘Glenfield No1’
Avonside 1568/1909 ‘Lucy’
Avonside 1810/1918 ‘M.D.H.B. No. 26’
Avonside 1883/1922
Bagnall 2680/1942 ‘Courageous’
Borrows 48/1906 ‘The King’
Borrows 53/1909 ‘Windle’
BR Ivatt 46441/1950
* Furness Railway No.20 (currently off site on loan)
Grant Ritchie 272/1894
* GWR 0-6-2T 5643 (currently off site on loan)
GWR 4-6-0 4979 Wootton Hall
Hawthorn Leslie 3931/1938 ‘Linda’
Hunslet 1954/1939 ‘Kinsley’
* Hunslet 2890 0-6-0  (currently off site on loan)
Hunslet 3155/1944 ‘Walkden’
Hunslet 3696/1950 ‘Respite’
Hunslet 3793/1953 ‘Shropshire’
Hunslet 3855/1955 ‘Glasshoughton No.4′
* Hunslet WD194/1953 ‘Cumbria’ (currently off site on loan)
* L&Y Aspinall 1300/12322 – 1896 (currently off site on loan)
L&Y Pug 1097/1910 ‘No. 19’
LNWR Ramsbottom 1439/1865
Peckett 1636/1924 ‘Fonmon’
Peckett 1925/1937 ‘Caliban’
Peckett 1935/1937 ‘Hornet’
Peckett 1999/1941 ‘North Western Gas Board’
Peckett 2003/1941 ‘John Blenkinsop’
Peckett 737/1899 ‘Daphne’
RSH 7485/1948 ‘Agecroft No.2’
Sentinel 8024/1929 ‘Gasbag’
Sentinel 9373/1947 ‘St Monans’
USA 0-6-0T No.30072 / 1943

 

DIESEL / BATTERY ELECTRIC / PETROL

BR Class 03 03189/1960
BR Class 03 D2148/1960
BR Class 05 D2595/1959
BR Class 14 D9539/1965
Diesel Railbus – 79960/1958
English Electric EE2098/1955 ‘671’
English Electric EE788/1930
English Electric VF2160/D350/1956 ‘663’
Fowler 0-4-0DM 21999/1937 “Fluff”
Fowler 4160001/1952 ‘Persil’
Greenwood Batley 2000/1945 ‘Greenbat’
Howard 965/1930 ‘Hotto’
Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0 DM D629 ‘Sparky’
Hudswell Clarke 1031/1956 ‘Margaret’
Hudswell Clarke D628/1943 ‘Mighty Atom’
North British 27653/1957 BICC
Sentinel 10226/1965 ‘Energy’ ex MSC DH23
Sentinel 10282/1968 ‘Enterprise’
Sentinel 10283/1968 ‘Progress’
Thomas Hill 160V/1966 ‘Stanlow No. 4’
Yorkshire 2677/1960 D2870

Correct as 25/01/18 CSM

Advertisements

Yorkshire 2677 / 1960 D2870

Yorkshire 2677 / 1960 D2870

This locomotive was built by the Yorkshire Engine Company to works number 2677 in 1960.

Formerly numbered DH1, it used to work at the St Helens glass works of Pilkington Brothers Ltd, who generously donated the locomotive in November 1982. The diesel is similar to the now defunct BR Class 02, except for not having vacuum brake equipment and other minor details. It has thus been restored in BR livery as D2870, the next one in the series.

The loco arrived in Preston on 30th March 1999, and D2870 is currently awaiting full restoration whilst being a worthy addition to the museum exhibits.

USA 0-6-0T No.30072/1943 SR USA Class

USA 0-6-0T No.30072/1943 SR USA Class

After World War II, the Southern Railway needed to replace ageing shunting engines at Southampton Docks. They decided to use the USATC built USA tanks. No 30072 started life at the Vulcan Iron Works in 1943 as works number 4446. After 4 years, the Southern Railway bought and 14 others of its class renumbering it No 72.

B.R. “U.S.A.” CLASS 0-6-0 SIDE TANK No. 30072
At the end of World War 11, a number of American shunting locomotives of the United States Army’s Transportation Corps were still stored in Britain and, in 1946, the Southern Railway bought fifteen for use at Southampton Docks. This locomotive, then numbered 72, was one of these, built by the Vulcan Ironworks, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania in 1943. It probably saw very little military service, though it was ferried to the Continent after D-day. After returning to England, these engines were stored at Newbury Racecourse station. This one was transferred to S.R. stock in April 1947. As British Railways No. 30072, it left Southampton in 1952, working for a short time on the London Midland Region at Willesden, then Cricklewood, before returning to Southampton, and then to Guildford, where it remained as shed pilot until withdrawn from service in July 1967. It was bought by a member in August 1967 whilst at Salisbury awaiting scrapping. Engines of this class also worked in Britain during 1943-45 and were widely used afterwards in France. Yugoslavia and Greece – examples in the last two countries being used as late as 1980. The American equivalent of the Hunslet 0-6-0 saddle tank produced by the British Ministry of Supply (see locomotive “Free). No. 30072 is a typical American switcher with bar frames, no running plate, three “domes” on the boiler and a stovepipe chimney. Other features rarely seen on British shunting locomotives are the outside valve gear and cylinders driving onto the rear axle. Together with No. 41241, this engine had the distinction of hauling the reopening train on the Worth Valley branch line in June 1968. After a number of modifications, such as a larger coal bunker, No.72 in American livery) became one of the most frequently used K.W.V.R. locomotives up to 1973. In 1976, it was converted to oil-firing, but changed back again to coal fuel in 1987. The engine gained a British Railways boiler certificate and. in May 1988, went by road to the 150th Anniversary celebrations of the London & South Western Railway at Woking, where it was used on a passenger shuttle-train. This gained it the distinction of being the first steam passenger working on the Southern Region east of Basingstoke for over 20 years.
Vulcan Ironworks No.4446; U.S.Arrny No.1973; S.R. No.72; B.R. No.30072.

At nationalisation, 30 000 was added to the number (as was customary for southern engines), and it stayed at Southampton. In 1962, its duties were taken over by diesel shunting engines and No 30072 was moved to Guildford (70C) shed. On 9 July 1967, it was moved to Salisbury for storage, from where it was bought.

When at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, it hauled the re-opening special with 41241. It operated as an oil-burning locomotive from 1976 to 1987. No 30072 is currently on display in the Oxenhope museum requiring extensive firebox repairs and a major overhaul.
30072 was in August 2015 purchased by Andy Booth (the current owner of L&YR Class 27 no 1300) and is planned to be overhauled intime for the 50th anniversary of the opening of the KWVR in 2018. It is planned for the engine to be overhauled the Ribble Steam Railway, she is then to return on loan to the railway upon completion.

Thomas Hill 160V/1966 ‘Stanlow No. 4’

Thomas Hill 160V/1966 'Stanlow No. 4'

This locomotive was built by Thomas Hill at their Vanguard Works, Kilnhurst, Yorkshire in 1966. After a full working life at the Shell refining plant at Stanlow, the oil company kindly donated the locomotive to Steamport, where it duly arrived in July 1985.

Stanlow remained the primary general purpose diesel locomotive throughout it’s time at Southport, being fitted with Vacuum brakes to enable it to work passenger trains as necessary. It was the last locomotive to leave Southport, after spending the last few weeks loading it’s previous shedmates onto various low loaders. Stanlow was then despatched to Allerton, where the tyres were re-profiled. Upon it’s arrival at Preston on 30th April 1999, it once again took on the mantle of primary shunter. The loco has almost completed a re-wire, after the complex anti-sparking system installed was removed. This had been installed (along with numerous other special features) due to the loco working in an oil refinery.

A refresh of the paintwork was also carried out, and the loco is occasionally seen on passenger duties.

Sentinel 9373/1947 ‘St Monans’

Sentinel 9373/1947 'St Monans'

St Monans is a 100hp geared four wheel steam locomotive with a vertical boiler and cylinders which was built in 1947 by the Shrewsbury firm of Sentinels Ltd.

It was delivered new to the Hawton Plaster works of what later became British Gypsum Ltd, Newark. Taking it’s name from Andrew Barclay 279 of 1885, it worked here until being displaced by a diesel in 1971.

It was initially sold to a member of the GCR at Loughborough where restoration work was commenced. It was then re-sold and arrived at Southport in October 1979, where work was completed. Another regular performer at Southport, the loco eventually left traffic after the superheater failed in the early 1990s, and hasn’t steamed since. The engine was moved to Preston, arriving on 13th March 1999.

The loco is almost identical to “Gradwell”, which used to work at the local Whittingham Railway. Currently the loco is undergoing restoration to working order.

Sentinel 8024/1929 ‘Gasbag’

Sentinel 8024/1929 'Gasbag'

After spending most of it’s life working for the Gas board in Cambridge, the small Sentinel moved to Carnforth, where it became a regular, in use for shunting & demonstration trains.

The little loco fell out of use and was purchased in 1997 and restored to working order, and it moved to Southport & took part in a number of operations before being moved to Preston – arriving on 23rd March 1999. Gasbag has been seen on a couple of photographic charters, along with occasional use at Riversway. The loco has been re-steamed again in August 2007, and appeared in the 2007 Autumn Steam Gala, and also the following Spring Steam Gala in 2008 after vacuum brake equipment was installed.

Sadly, the boiler is now in need of it’s ten year overhaul, and this is not currently in plan, so the loco has returned to Museum Exhibition for the time being.

Sentinel 10283/1968 ‘Progress’

Sentinel 10283/1968 'Progress'

Progress is the sister loco to Enterprise, and has worked on the docks since her arrival in 1968.

The loco was purchased in 2002 and since that point has become one of the main shed shunters, being used on a regular basis for moving items in and around the shed, and running the regular works trains that have been required to maintain the railway.